The prefect body has a key role at James Ruse. Their mission is to model service, generosity and love in order to nurture school spirit, to improve the school and its environment for the benefit of the students and the wider community. The prefects are inducted each July at a special assembly often addressed by former students of the school as special guests.
- The responsibilities of prefects are wide and varied. Prefects lead the student body in many events including:
- Supporting the Cancer Council with a mini fair and the sale of daffodils and merchandise
- Supporting World Vision by sponsoring a child
- Organising a 3-on-3 soccer competition to promote school spirit
- Producing a number of information newsletters for students called Ricebowl
- Producing a number of entertaining video clips played at assemblies to advertise upcoming prefect events
- Chairing and supervising school assemblies, sports assemblies, the Awards day and presentation assembly.
- Hosting an afternoon tea with prefects from various high schools
- Supporting breast cancer research by selling merchandise for Pink Ribbon Day
- Organising a Christmas assembly to which Santa has been invited, Christmas games and candy cane and card deliveries.
- Promoting cultural awareness with Chinese New Year celebrations
- Planning a Valentine's Day extravaganza including a dance, delivery service and assembly
- Supporting Shave for a Cure
- Running a 3-on-3 basketball competition
- Running a 5-on-5 dodgeball competition
- Organising a prefect assembly